Friday, July 18, 2014

John Green - The Fault in Our Stars

I'm a bit late reviewing what has become the hottest YA book of the last few years. The fact is, I hardly ever read young adult novels - which means this might be an interesting review for those like me who are generally more drawn to adult fiction, classics, or things that are a bit more 'literary' in general. I downloaded the novel on my kindle, after all the hype, particularly now that the movie has come out in the States. I figured I would probably see the movie eventually (I haven't yet) and I wanted to read the novel first.
I know this will shock many people, but it took me a while to get into it. In the beginning I was turned off by the writing style and the overly self-analyzing first person narrator, as well as some of the characters. But, like I said, I'm not used to reading contemporary young adult fiction and I was looking at it very closely through my Literature-Ph.D.-candidate reading glasses (probably more than I would have another book, because it's ya and written by a youtuber). As the story went on, however, I was completely sucked in and read it in about two days, forgetting my stylistic qualms. I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother knows the plot of this novel, but I still don't want to spoil it for people who may not have read it. Hazel Grace Lancaster is a cancer patient who meets dreamy Augustus Waters at a support group meeting. The two develop a friendship and then something more, end up in Amsterdam to meet the reclusive author of Hazel's favorite book, in order to ask him what happens to the characters after the story ends. Things don't go exactly as planned - let's leave it at that. But the biggest plot twist is at the end. Suffice it to say that I finished it while on a train ride and was literally sobbing - mascara rolling down my cheeks, nose dripping and all that fun stuff, while the people around me looked concerned. I didn't see the ending coming and John Green built it up just perfectly. It was touching, but not sentimental or overly tragic.
I still have to say I'm not as obsessed with this book as a lot of people are. If I had read it 10 or 15 years ago, I'm sure I would be, though. I did really enjoy it at the end, and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an easy-to-read, gripping story that deals with a touchy subject in a respectful but also lighthearted way (at times, at least). I like that it's not the typical cancer-book. The characters have lives aside from their illness, they're not saints, they have interests and hopes and fears. A lot of deeper questions are raised about life, the meaning of suffering etc., but John Green doesn't bang you over the head with them - or with the answers. Before I started the book I had read somewhere that the author is Episcolapian, so I was actually expecting a bit of a clearer message relating to salvation, life after death, grace or something. But thinking about the story later on, I actually appreciate the subtlety of the dealing of these topics, and the focus on the characters and the story more than their philosophical implications. Once again, I guess I just need to come to terms with the fact that this is a contemporary ya novel and it fits the genre.
Definitely pick it up if you're in your teens or enjoy YA in general. I did like it more than I was expecting and will probably watch the movie at some point, too. (I'll do a blog post about it, when that happens). I always like that good cry at the end of a book or film!

No comments:

Post a Comment